These wings aren't really here, they're just the trick of the light.

The Sleepless Dreamer and Dreamless Sleepers

Happy Friday everyone!

Alright, so maybe not everyone is having a happy Friday or a happy...whatever...but know that I wish you well wherever you are...and to backup your writings and important computer stuffs however you can.

I'm just glad the account documents were saved onto the Mac's hard disk...automatically.

Long story short, I just had the biggest computer scare I've had
for awhile. The first was when my laptop was overwhelmed by some pesky malware that took over my desktop and tried to make me sign up for fraudulent virus prevention software. But I came out unscathed...except that that laptop's memory is F-R-I-E-D. Fried. I don't know if I've mentioned this but it wasn't mine in the first place anyways... It was my step-brother's R and he just played World of Warcraft (and did other stuff, I'm just not sure what) before giving it away (*cough*selling for a profit*cough*)

To rectify my past meaningless posts, I'll dig something from my piles of notes about what I'm working on (It's the weekend so I can focus on this finally!)...

I've always wanted to have a dreamy storytelling style. Dreamy in the sense that the reader is aware of the character's individual conscience and see through their perspective without using 1st person point of view. 1st per. PoV doesn't necessarily agree with me. You see, just because I like to explain myself, my empathetic nature really gets to me when I do a 1st prson narrative but I have to be able to focus on that character, as well as keep the atmosphere in the story similar to the atmosphere in real life. I doubt I can write a sad, harrowing scene when Pop music is playing or cartoons are blaring on the tv--just to give examples.

Moving along...a writer friend of mine said I write in third person omniscient and blah blah etc. etc. As much as there are technical names to label how a person writes, I honestly just want to write however this story comes to me. Surely, other writers feel the same way...until they take their work to a publisher. Now that's where we have to get a bit technical with how we do things, since everything's been written already--the dreamy part is over--writers revise according to how an editor sees fit. And, from what I gathered from the experiences of published authors, it's difficult. Editing, overall, is difficult..but they pull through it somehow.

...you know, that wasn't the topic I wanted to address, but I was thinking about it all the same.

So, sleepers and dreamers...don't take it the wrong way :) I'm working on the concept but I thought sharing it would be best.

How I defined these two terms came lightning fast in that epiphany-type moment or the shout-out-loud "Aha" moment. (Now I know I'm not the only one that's been reprimanded for talking loudly when it's dead silent...and yes, I've been perusing the Dictionaries and Thesauri laying around (even the ones at school)) Hmm...so what is the meaning to the blog title? Sleepless and dreamless are pretty self explanatory (as I thought to myself earlier today) but what about the other words? *starts rifling through notes and dictionary*
  • Dreamer: someone who has plans that are not practical; something beautiful that can only be seen in a dream...etc.
  • Sleep: to rest your mind and body by lying down with your eyes closed; any condition of inactivity or rest; death; Sleeper: One or who that which sleeps; someone or something thought to be unpromising that unexpectedly attains value, importance, notoriety, etc.
I found the school dictionary definitions to be lacking and...dumbed down, no offense, so I turned to my trusty thick Webster to give me the second halves of these definitions. (Can you believe the school ones didn't even have "sleeper" in it? I was momentarily confused when it wasn't there) but now that I have these I can move on. :)
Time slows and memory is an illusion
Those beyond the Holy city, drift into a profound sleep;
While those within live through this ice-cold reality
Throughout this dark delusion, one half seeks another--
The sleeper seeks the dreamer in order to find truth in the blinding fog.
The above probably won't make much sense since it's only part of a poem...most likely I should say. ^^'' So I came up with the following:

+ + + The sleepless dreamer is caught in their own delusions of what used to be (maybe of grandeur). Sleepless, means restless. Dreamer means one who looks not on reality but on fantasy or what does not exist...anymore. They, unlike sleepers, have long since blocked out the hurtful things in their life and, thus, cannot live in -this- reality because it is full of hurtful things. Another good way to put this is that they are in denial(?). The epitome of innocence (?).

+ + + The sleeper without dreams can be seen as a realist. They, having forgotten or forsaken the ways of being childlike in nature or heart, are on a path to self-destruction. They walk, indifferent, because of past conflicts, of broken promises...someone with a long memory. Being able to dream is being able to step in a children's world where answers are given as candidly as possible; "Dreams are the territory of children etc. etc."
I omitted a lot of stuff but there's a visual of my thought process for you. I thought it'd be a fun thing to share since I too wanted to know myself. I wanted to know whether I really do think better when I'm at the computer than on paper at school or anywhere else.

Hmm...most likely it's because: 1) I'm more comfortable here, especially since I can play awesome ambient music really loud where no one springs at me every few seconds asking what I'm listening to 2) I;m sitting in a comfortable chair and wear equally comfortable clothing 3) NO OUTSIDE DISTRACTIONS?! *laughs triumphantly*

Oh, and I have a lot of space to put my notes and junk without having to worry about people (again) asking what I'm doing and then attempt to get a peek at my papers and even have the gall to snatch them from my workspace and read stuff out loud D: Then again, I have this weird print-cursive writing style that causes people to scratch the back of their heads in wonder.

Its the weekend. I've got time. I'm fairly happy with the goings on in my life. I've got a functioning computer. Now I'm very happy...just because everything seems to be going well. So, I hope the length of this post can be excused. :3

EDIT: Hey it's the 60th post! *dances randomly and horribly*
2 comments:

*joins in celebration*

Write however you feel like. Then maybe you'll find that how you write is actually a style (just last Thursday, I realized that I was writing in 3rd person limited - all I knew before was that I was writing in 3rd person).

I think I write better on a computer is because a) my hands don't cramp up because I'm holding my pencil/pen too tightly and/or writing too fast b) I can type fast c) I can go back and add things/delete things easily.

Thank God for computers.


Also: I LOVE YOUR LAYOUT![/fangirl]



Followers