These wings aren't really here, they're just the trick of the light.

Sunday Scribblings #177 - Adult


...A short using some characters from "Ephemeral Wings"


“Luck be the Lady”


“Sarra,” someone said to the blonde, “sometimes you can't see what's in front of you if you don't open your eyes.”

“What? I can see just fine, thank you... Have you seen this yet?” She gestured to the side of the rickety carriage, her outstretched fingers catching every bit of the seaside air. “It's so blue...and vast! Though, I wonder what's beyond that horizon... When the sun sets, where does he go?”

“He?”

“Sharem, a sparkling angel, the angel of the setting sun...” She sat back, clutching her cloak about her, shivering.

After awhile, they queried, “What are your thoughts on heaven? I'd like to know.”

A smile graced her pale thin lips. “It's a warm place, a wonderful place where there is no suffering. A place where you go when you're tired.”

Curiously, they asked, “Are you tired?”

“No. Just sleepy. We've been on the road for three days, feels like we haven't gone anywhere though...”

“And...?”

“Except seeing the ocean again of course. This is the second time I've seen it... The first time. I remember being so afraid. It was, in truth, a very black day. Because of our born abilities we were pursued and imprisoned, sold. A few years passed during my imprisonment when the forces of the kingdom were torn asunder.” She paused. “Just think... Fighting your own people, how would that feel? Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that we were released but our escape wasn't easy. In those changed men's eyes was a dark power – I remember, someone I cared for very much tried to reason with one of the soldiers and the end result was his life. But it was also that same day when I was finally free. Meeting these kind people, these wanderers that took me in, I was so happy that I knelt and kissed the earth... Can you imagine it? A damp taste that lingers on your lips, the redeeming taste of rain and fresh soil – that was true freedom.

I do hope that he found that warm place. When I tire I want to see him there. It wouldn't be the same without him, plus, we made a bet.”

“Are you sure this friend wasn't a cheat?”

“He would kill you for saying that. No really! I mean, sure he gambled, but it was for entertainment... I'm positive.”

“Doesn't sound like it. Tell me about your friend then. The destination is still far off. We have plenty of time.”

“You sure are a curious stranger. I don't even know your name, nor have you shown your face. I don't see why I should tell you about him.”

The said stranger reached into the folds of his cloak. “Sure are a picky woman... Fine. Why don't we make a bet. Heads or tails. Tails, I'll tell you my name. Heads, you tell me about your friend. Ready – ”

“Wait! If it's Tails you have to show me your face. You can give me a fake name if you wanted to.”

“Heh. Smart move. Fine. Tails, I show you my face – ”

With the flick of a thumb, the coin spun high in the air. Sarra caught the gleam of silver, watched the stranger's confidant hands catch the coin and flip it face-down. How...familiar it all was.

“What is it?” Sarra managed a breath, a puff of air materializing in front of her. The stranger failed to move, sitting as still as a statue, hand clasped over the coin. “What's wrong?” she asked, suddenly aware of the ever lowering temperature.

“... Sometimes you have to open your eyes,” they said, “because you close them without knowing at times. It's a reflex of your conscience.” The stranger held out his clasped hands. “Will you risk it all on this one coin-flip?”

“What am I risking?”

“That is not mine to answer.”

The carriage shook violently. The once calm waves violently crashed onto shore, foam rising up and down the sand, engulfing any living creature. Thunder and lightning, like cymbals, roared in the heavens – signaling the coming of a grand maelstrom. Sarra peered outside, struck dumb by the weather, the suddenly dark atmosphere and the flag waving far down the road.

“Open your eyes,” the stranger said but she paid them no attention.

The flag was carried by soldiers on horseback – similar to those she had recalled not to long ago. Pairs of red eyes flashed through dark stained helmets, an acrid smell was approaching fast – iron and gunpowder. Loosening her grip in absolute terror, her cloak was torn from her body by the vicious winds. Lightning flashed quick, transforming the burgundy cloak to a bright glistening red –

Sarra...

“Have you found your answer?”

Are you alright?

The soldiers were mere meters from the carriage. She turned to find the stranger's hands open already.

Sarra...

“You said this was my decision – ”

“You decide too slow.”

“But still, you said – ”

“Crybaby. It's simple.” – he tossed the coin to her – “I cheat.”

With that, the stranger leapt into the maelstrom –

Hey...

Sarra...

Hello?


Wake up sleepyhead!


...

“She sure likes to sleep in...”

“Tell me about it...”

It was bright. Instinctively she covered her face with her hands. Instantly she felt a warm spot on her cheek. Blinking, it slid as she turned her body, pushing away the blankets.

“What is that?”

“Sarra?”

She paused, absorbing whatever information she could get from her dream... Delicately she held the coin in the sun, looking at it skeptically as though it might disappear any second.

“Sarra...Are you alright?”

Her voice was soft, on the verge of tears, “Tails... Double. I won.”


4 comments:

I liked this story-good work


interesting where you went with the prompt..


I loved it, really awesome! I love Sarra's character, the way she speaks of her thoughts, and the idea of what heaven is was really interesting. (:

Good ending, too, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I didn't expect her to wake up from a dream! Really awesooome.


Just dropped by and found this wonderful tale - loved it!



Followers