These wings aren't really here, they're just the trick of the light.

TWC: Challenge #38

This was the challenge that TWC issued in August. I believe that we had to include these things: beehive, Creeping Charlie, a hotplate, a public restroom/toilet and sandpaper. I was going for a more comical piece, as well as adding some Shakespearian blurbs I tend to banter with people I know personally. The characters I used belong to a different world but I wondered what kind of people they would become in real life and what they would do etc. It was an interesting thought so this piece came out very easily (which meant I made some grammatical errors--and it's too late for me to send them a different file).

Anyways, enjoy it. This was just done for fun. :-)

* * * * *

“That‘s What You Get”
By LAELAH


“…Come I to speak in Caesar’s funeral. He was my friend, faithful and just to me. But Brutus says--”

“--he was ambitious, yes, now can you stop with Julius Caesar? I thought we took this trip to forget about school.”

Julia shut the book in a snap, shoving the spine upon her brother’s shoulder. “Well, excuse me. Unlike you, I’m actually trying in English and I still can’t pass! Why did you have to be the smart one and I the pretty one?”

“Ha. Methinks you flatter thyself,” he replied.

“Did you just say something?” she said, placing the book in her bag. Instead of answering, Lucius turned on the radio, remembering to max out the volume. Julia zipped up her bag and lowered the volume. “Very funny. Just concentrate on driving okay?” Julia folded her arms and closed her eyes. Finals were coming up and Shakespeare just didn’t make any sense. It was times like this that she could appreciate her brother (though it was really for the car but he doesn’t know).

“Lucius?” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes, “Can you turn up the radio?”

“My car, my rules. Turn it up yourself,” he remarked simply.

“Right, right,” she did as she was told, and sat back in the seat. Her favorite song began to play…soon enough she began to sing along. “I got a lot to say to you. Yeah, I got a lot to say. I noticed your eyes are always glued to me. Keeping them here. And it makes no sense at all. They taped over your mouth. Scribbled out the truth with their lies…Hey! Pffft--you didn‘t have to turn it off.”

“As much as I enjoy your horrid singing…the car needs gas.”

“Okay…that still isn’t any reason to--”

“The top’s down dummy. I don’t want to draw attention in a place like this…” he said, flipping on the turn signal.

“Lucius, it’s a convertible. A BMW Convertible to be specific and it‘s shiny. Everyone’s going to have to look at it sometime.”

He slowly put the car to a stop, right after making sure it was aligned to the gas pump. “Stay here,” he said taking the keys from the ignition. “Need anything?”

“I’d say yes but 1) I doubt it’s sanitary so I’m gonna hold it and 2) the tissue’s like sandpaper…Eew.”

Lucius sighed as he got out the car and closed the door, “I’ll see if they have Kleenex…anything else?”

Julia smiled, “H20 would be nice.”

As Lucius headed to the mini-mart, Julia took out her cell. She was hoping for a text message to pass the time or someone to call. No signal…great. She tucked the phone back in her pants pocket. This place is deserted. Literally, it’s all desert and barely anything else but dust and rocks. Plain, boring rocks…and it’s hot nonetheless. Julia exhaled and reached into her bag, after rummaging around she took out her ipod and began unraveling the cords wound around it. While she fumbled with the earphones a water bottle and plastic pack of tissues was flung on her lap. Another water bottle was thrown at the backseat.

“Thanks,” she said and placed the bottle in the cup-holder nearby, the tissues in her bag. She resumed untangling the cords.

“Mm-hmm.”

Once Julia got the earphones free she didn’t hesitate turning up the volume. She adjusted the seat to go farther back then took a sip of water. By the time the bottle was placed in the holder, Lucius had already started the car. He looked at her, sunglasses and eyebrows raised, his mouth was moving but no words came out.

“Speak louder will ya?” she remarked, removing one of the earphones.

I said: It’s going to be a while till we get there. A couple hours or so. Want me to pull the top down?”

Julia nodded. “A couple hours? That’d be nice. Can you turn the AC on too? I’ve been meaning to get some sleep…Thanks again.”

“No prob.”

* * * * *

Julia’s eyes briefly opened. In her laid back state she could see tidbits of where they were from the window. Unlike the so-called desert, there were patches of sky now due to the fact that trees lined the road, and the occasional lamppost. She quickly brought the ipod at eyelevel, minding the battery level. Green. She rubbed her eyes, exhaled and sat up, remembering to adjust the seat.

“How goes it good sir?” Julia yawned as the ipod was returned to the denizens of her bag.

“You might as well drop the Shakespeare act. I don’t know how mother would react if you began talking in Olde English.”

“Sheesh. What’s up with the formalities? Anyways, I thought I could forget about Dead Week but it even torments me in my dreams! Ugh.”

“Stop stressing. If you do you won’t pass.”

“Oh. That makes me feel loads better. But I know what you’re talking about…Ah, if I had your attitude I’d probably pass.”

“What are you implying?”

She only chuckled in response.

“Whatever…We’re here.”

Julia removed her seatbelt and made her way outside. She stretched her arms and inhaled the air. I love this house. Rosaline’s--er, Mom’s house. She then reached for her bag, making sure to grab the water bottle before shutting the door.

“Ready to go?”

Julia looked across the car. Lucius waited for her response, his own bag slung over his shoulders.

“Yeah!”

* * * * *

The gate creaked open as Lucius held it for Julia to pass. As a rebuke Julia tugged Lucius’ hair, she then smiled and nudged him with her shoulder. Her eyes said to him to quit the formalities. Once she stepped ahead of him he quickly pushed her forward, she jumped, remembering the crevasse in the stepping stone. She laughed triumphantly while Lucius merely shrugged before making his way to the door. Julia regained her posture and stood by him as the doorbell was pressed.

“Why did you have to be so tall?”

“Why’re you so short then?”

“I can never win can I?”

“It’s your fault. You keep picking fights you can’t win.”

“Ah, it appears you have wronged me brother. ‘Tis be small talk to pass the time.”

Lucius gave a small laugh.

“Hurrah! It appears the stick hath fallen from thy derrière! What say you to a feast? This be a worthy moment to commemorate.”

“I say…” he paused, mocking thoughtfulness by stroking his chin. Julia couldn’t help but laugh. He stopped and ruffled her golden hair. “You try too hard…the language of Shakespeare doesn’t suit a person such as yourself.”

Finally, the door opened. A woman, who resembled Lucius in many ways, stood there with open arms.

“My son,” she said, blue eyes twinkling, embraced him, “…my how you’ve grown!” She released him and turned her sights to Julia, who made her way into her arms. “My beautiful daughter…” she brushed the gold hair that hid her eyes, “Why so pale?” Rosaline withdrew her embrace and took Julia’s hands in hers. “What do you say to some tea? I’ve finally found a way to make those weeds useful.”

Julia furrowed her brow. “Tea made from weeds? Doesn’t sound too appetizing…Blech.”

Rosaline smiled. “Come on, give it a try! I have some honey to make it sweet if you’d like. Please consider it.”

“Okay.”

“That’s my girl. You’ll love it. Now, make yourself at home while I prepare it.”

Julia and Lucius made their way up the stairs and into their respective rooms. Once Julia set her things on her bed she rushed to the restroom, suddenly regretting drinking water earlier that day. After washing her hands, she descended the staircase and into the kitchen. Rosaline wasn’t present but the water for the tea was put to a boil. She noted the freshly washed leaves placed in a bowl and the delightful aroma it released.

“I wonder what plant this is…” she muttered, taking another whiff, “the smell is familiar though.”

“You serious? We passed it on the way in here,” Lucius remarked from the cupboard, reaching for the cups then setting them aside.

“No way.”

Lucius nodded while placing each cup onto a tiny dish. “Glechoma hederacea is the scientific--”

“English please.”

“Catsfoot or Creeping Charlie,” he replied, in a dull tone, “Look out the window. You can tell which plant it is by noting the purple flowers--bees like the plant as well. Shouldn’t be hard to find now is it?”

“Yeah…I’ve been wondering why bees have been swarming around lately,” she said, peering outside through the window over the sink, “Lucius, you don’t think Mom gets her honey from the bees do you?”

“No,” raising an eyebrow as he lowered the fire from the stove. “That’s dangerous if you’re not trained to handle bees. She probably gets her honey from the market.”

“I know.”

“Ah, good, the cups are all set.” Rosaline entered the kitchen with her jet black hair pulled back with a clip. “You should sit and relax. The ride here must’ve taken a lot of energy.”

The two did as they were told. Julia situated herself on the couch, hands at her lap. Lucius only sat for a moment and then excused himself to go back upstairs.

After a few minutes, Rosaline brought out a tray that contained the cups filled with the aromatic tea. A bottle of honey was also set aside, along with sugar and the teapot itself. “Shall I fix you a snack? I’ve recently got my hands on some strawberries so I made some jam.”

“Homemade jam? Yes please!” Julia took up the cup and blew on it.

“It’s my best yet. I’ll prepare some for the both of you right now…”

Julia took a whiff of the tea one more time before taking a sip. She found it bitter and set the tea on the tray. As she placed a spoon or so of sugar and a dollop of honey, while mixing it, Lucius returned carrying a hotplate. He stepped into the kitchen and placed it on the counter.

“Mother, you’ve always been discontent with the stove so I bought this for you. Instead of paying to fix the stove, you can save your money by using this instead.”

A smile curved her lips as she approached her son. “Just like him you’re ever so thoughtful Lucius. I was about to send for a repairman but this is fantastic! Thank you so much! In fact…—” Rosaline took a ribbon from her wrist “—if you pull back your hair…like so--”

“Mother…”

Until she was satisfied with the ribbon, Rosaline pulled back and admired her son’s look. “Julia, don’t you think he looks like a prince?”

Julia was forced to set her tea down. Her fingers began to lose all control, soon her whole body was limp from laughter.

“Aww, don’t make such a sour face. Be proud of your looks, I’m sure the girls at that school of yours swoon over you,” she said, pinching his cheeks on purpose, “Smile and take a seat. Go on.”

Lucius gave a dry laugh as he pinched Julia’s arm. She yowled in pain, but she still laughed making her fall to her sides (which pretty much took most of the space on the couch).

“Move,” he said darkly, pinching her again.

“Ow! Pffft--no worries your princeliness. I shall. I shall!” she remarked, trying to stifle her laughs. “Please, I beg upon your good will dear prince, your pinches hurt me so.”

He pinched her again and crossed his arms. “You take things too far Julia.”

“Now, now be on good terms. This is a weekend is it not?” Rosaline entered with dishes in both hands, “A small snack to commemorate your coming… I could never be more happy to see you both! Don’t go ruining it now.” She set the dishes near the tray and took her seat. “Toast with homemade jam and a little powdered sugar. I thought’d be best since you seem tired.—” she took a small spoonful of sugar and stirred the tea “—so how are things? Is Kaine taking proper care of you?”

“Maybe you should visit and see for yourself,” Lucius said, taking a bite of toast. “He could never replace Father, if that’s your intent for asking, but it’s been good.”

Julia didn’t say a word except decided to give the tea a try again.

“I understand,” Rosaline set the tea down and cleared her throat, “but you know how things are ever since he passed away. I can never forgive him…”

It was eerily quiet. Julia set her tea down as well, it didn’t feel right if no one else was going to.

Lucius especially looked tense, he sat, elbows resting on his knees, hands clasped tight. The ribbon unraveled long ago so strands of his hair strayed over his shoulder.

Rosaline took up her tea once again and drank. “..but I trust him to be a sufficient guardian. Besides, this place would fall apart if I left. I have to do everything in my power to keep it alive…to keep him alive.” Placing the cup upon the table, she reached for the teapot but Lucius took a hold of it first.

“I should pour,” he even stood as he poured bwing with humility before returning to his seat, “I shouldn’t even have brought it up…”

She smiled and took a spoonful of sugar. “Do not burden yourselves with this matter. In fact, let’s just enjoy the time we have together.”

Julia took her cup and finally set it to her lips. She froze.

“Are you okay?” Lucius remarked, the toast mere centimeters from his mouth.

She set the cup down and poured into it some hot tea. “It got cold so the sugar didn’t dissolve so I…”

Before she knew it, mother and son joined in laughter while Julia stirred her over-sugared tea. Now it’s their time to laugh. She grinned. After a bout like that, I’m glad they are.

* * * * *

Morning had come quickly which meant they had to depart quickly too. After being served breakfast and bidding a reluctant farewell, Lucius and Julia began on the drive home.

“I’m glad she let us take some jam. I wonder if we have some powdered sugar at home…”

“Not sure. But if you want to buy some it’s coming out of your wallet.”

“You sound like a dad,” Julia raised an eyebrow, a smirk on her face.

“What’s that look for?”

“Methinks the prince desires to rule the kingdom--”

“Stop it…”

“--so he can remove his princely title.”

“Okay. That’s it. I’m getting a haircut.”
0 comments:

Followers