These wings aren't really here, they're just the trick of the light.

Madame Bovary I Part I

Labeled as , ,
All right, here's my first go at it (and because I need a break from a writing project).

I didn't plan for the write up to be this long but I'll work on the others to make them shorter. Honestly, I've already read up to Part I, Chapter VII but, yeah, I just wanted to see how this goes.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

SPOILERS & LONG POST AHEAD--->

PART I

I. The New Pupil


The story starts out as a mini biography of—not exactly the protagonist—but an important character nevertheless, Charles Bovary.

Charles is described as,
"a country boy, about fifteen years old... His hair was cut straight across his forehead...he looked sensible and shy."
Apparently, this is the first time he went to school later we find out why, but, from his description alone, Charles came off to me as a Momma's boy and not to impressive/interesting (if he were a real person in real life). A key thing to note in MB is Flaubert's use of excessive detail, but I won't go into it (just something I thought was interesting). Let's see...

After Charles's manner of dress was described, and after a brief explanation of a custom in the school (which was that their caps/hats would be thrown to the side of the classroom or something) he, being new, doesn't know and keeps a diligent hold onto his new hat.

When the teacher told him to stand, his hat falls. He goes to pick it up but his "neighbor" knocks it back down. laughter ensues in the classroom as he picks it up a second time. After that ordeal he sits (obviously a bit embarrassed) but the teacher calls him to stand once again so he can tell everyone his name.

At the utterance of: "Charbovari" students laugh and make fun. From this, you know that Charles has an accent (can you blame the guy? he hasn't been properly schooled yet). The students get reprimanded with lines and his hat goes missing but the teacher says that no one has stolen it and he'll find it eventually.

Sounds like a sucky day at school...

Then the chapter goes in depth about his parents, Monsieur and Madame Bovary (not the MB that the book is focused on, mind you)—right after mentioning that Charles is doing a little better at school (good for him). To put it plainly, his father is no banker (he does poorly with finances) and is known as a big flirt. The Madame, loved him dearly at first but due to his actions, her love turned to bitterness, however; she focuses her affections on Charles (she spoils him pretty much that it's kind of ridiculous).

"His mother was always dragging him around with her; she would cut out paper dolls for him, tell him stories; and involve herself in endless monologues full of melancholy humor and baby talk."
Huh. makes me almost—note, almost—envious.

"In the loneliness of her life she lavished all her thwarted ambitions on this childish head. She dreamed of important positions, could already see him grown up, handsome, witty, a successful civil engineer or magistrate."

I take that statement back.

You can guess what happens after. His mother goes about organizing for Charles to learn how to read and...sing ballads while she plays the piano...

Anyways, it appears that, because of their financial trouble, little Charles can't go to school (I believe this story is set when the French were still divided into classes—bourgeoisie (sadly, I can't recall what little I know about French history)) so he wanders about the town, doing whatever mediocre thing (like harassing farm animals—haha kidding) to occupy his time. It remained as so, him helping around the town/farmhands till at twelve he was to begin his studies (hmm, so I was wrong? hmmm...)

Oh. Wait. He gets to study under a priest...well, it would benefit Charles more if the study times weren't so varied (since the priest had to do church things) and the classes were done in haste. All in all, "the lessons were...badly organize(d) that they did no real good."

Finally, his Father gave in and sent him to normal school—on which he spends three years in (with a year or so between his enrolling there) before they pull him out to study medicine (I may be wrong but he's what? 17 or 18 yrs old? and not too talented a student either but he's...competent).

His studies prove to be an EPIC FAIL for he procrastinates and prefers to go to a cafe' and play with dominoes, apparently they struck his fancy (well, who doesn't like to play dominoes? knocking stuff down is fun).

"So many of his repressed feeling expanded; he learned songs by heart and sang them to entertain the women present, developed a taste for Beranger (a french song writer), learned how to make punch, and finally how to make love."

Sounds like a rippin' good time! [/endsarcasm]

By the time he gets home, there was a celebration in order for his graduation from med school... Which didn't happen. Though he failed his first attempt to become a doctor, his mother takes the blame, as well as points the finger at his "incompetent" instructors... Yeah. His mother "loves" him that much.

Oy...Five years pass...before the news is broken to the dad (yikes, that's a long time) but he saw it as "ancient history. Moreover, he was unable to accept the fact that a son of his might be a fool." His father thinks highly of himself...pretty much.

So, Charles continues his med education in a city/town called Tostes, but not after finding him a beautiful bride...that's (from my numbers) twice his age.

"He needed a wife. She[Madame Bovary] found him one: the widow of a Dieppe bailiff, who was forty-five years old and had an income of twelve hundred pounds. Although she was ugly, thin as a rail, and had as many pimples as the springtime has buds, Madame Dubuc was not lacking in suitors."
It's the money. It's got to be.

So his wonderful wife accompanies him to Tostes. Scratch wonderful. The Madame turns out to be a demanding woman, and insisted that she be the ruler of the household...

"He assumed he would be freer to choose his own actions and spend his money as planned. But his wife was the ruler; he had to watch what he said and didn't say in public, eat fish on Friday, dress as she prescribed... She would open his letters, spy on his whereabouts, and listen behind the partition when there were women in the consulting room..."
You get the idea but, overall, she's a lonely woman in my perspective and I don't see why she'd be doing these things except out of her twisted love for her young husband...I could be wrong.

Hopefully, everyone's still awake.
3 comments:

I don't know if you saw this:

hey, can you help me with something? Luna said you helped her get a template from btemplates and I was wondering if you could help me, too because I'm having trouble too. thanks!

if you say no, that's okay. I just would really appreciate it.


I didn't get a comment or an email . . .


When I downloaded it I got 5 little subsections which are GreenMagic.jpg (because the name of the template was green magic), GreenMagic1.jpg, GreenMagic.xml, ReadMe.txt, ReadMe1.txt (for the record I have already read the "read me's".

I think my problem is I don't know what a zip file is. (Thank you so much for helping me. I owe you)



Followers